homesite map | contact us

New Service or Account Changes

Garbage Service

Billing Information

Financial Assistance

New Service or Account Changes Activation To activate service in the City of North Richland Hills, you will need to complete an application, pay a deposit, and an activation fee of $10. The application is available on our website at or can be completed in our office at 7301 N.E. Loop 820, Monday thru Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. We require a twenty-four hour notice to process any service requests. In order for us to turn the water on someone must be at the property. Any return trip requests is subject to a fee of $20.
Deposit or Letter of Credit A deposit is required for all accounts. Residential deposits are determined by the current deposit schedule and Commercial deposits are based upon historical data or the size of the meter and business type if it is a new business. If a resident or business seeks to re-establish service and there is evidence of non-payment on a prior account or if an account is disconnected for non-payment three times within a twelve month period, a deposit in an amount equal to double the deposit reflected in the deposit schedule is required to activate service. All deposits must be paid at the time the application is submitted. NRH does not accept letter of credits for deposit from other cities or utilities but will provide one upon request to existing customers that are activating service with another entity.
Name Change To change the name on the account, the account holder on file must complete a form authorizing the name change and provide information on the new customer. The name change form can be picked up in the Utility Customer Service office during normal business hours or you can request that it be faxed to you. If the deposit on file is less than the current minimum deposit, the new customer must pay the difference to bring the deposit current.
Terminate/Transfer Service To terminate or transfer services contact the Utility Customer Service at least twenty-four hours prior to the requested date. Be prepared to provide forwarding address information. If you are transferring service there is a $10 transfer charge. Service can only be active at both addresses for five days, after that time an additional deposit is required.

Garbage Service Pick Up Days The City of North Richland Hills is divided into pickup zones. To determine which zone you are in for garbage and recycling collections please visit Duncan Disposal's website at or call 817 317-2450.
Pick Up Times Garbage cans and recycle bins should be placed at the curb no earlier than 7 p.m. the evening before collection, nor later than 7 a.m. the day of collection. Empty cans and bins should be removed from curbside as soon after collection as possible and no later than the following day.
Acceptable Waste Household trash and yard waste contained in a can, bag, or box no larger than 33 gallons and weighing less than 50 pounds in weight.
Unacceptable Waste Commercial construction debris, explosives, and hazardous items such as tires, batteries, petroleum products, paints, other chemicals and solvents. Residents can take household hazardous waste to the Environmental Collection Center in Fort Worth. For more information call 817 427-6651.
Brush Collection Brush collection occurs on a weekly basis. This service is provided on the same day as your regular garbage collection. Brush, tree limbs and other large bulky items that are not commercial type trash will be picked up at the curb if it is secured in bundles not to exceed four (4) feet long and fifty (50) pounds in weight. If more than four (4) cubic yards, the customer must contact Duncan Disposal to schedule pickup. Duncan will collect and dispose of all waste over four (4) cubic yards at a per cubic yard rate. For large amounts of limbs a customer may also request a chipper service at an additional per hour rate with a 1 hour minimum charge.
Large/Bulky Items Bulky items including stoves, refrigerators (with CFC components removed by a certified technician), water tanks, furniture, water heaters, dishwashers, washing machines etc. when placed on the curb will be picked up on normal collection days. Duncan provides an on-call service upon customer request for collection of large objects and quantities of debris and will provide an estimate of the cost to remove and dispose of the items. The contract for the service is between the customer and Duncan and the agreed upon fee for the service is paid by the customer upon completion of the work performed.
Recycle Bins Recycle Bins can be picked up in the Utility Customer Service Office located at 7301 N.E. Loop 820, Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Customers receive one bin at no charge; additional bins are available for a fee. Clean or rinsed items that can be placed in the bin include: metal cans, aluminum drink cans (compacted), clear, green and brown glass bottles and jars, number 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 & 7 plastic bottles such as milk jugs, shampoo bottles, newspapers, catalogs, magazines, junk mail, and cardboard that is broken down to a size that will fit inside the bin.
City Landfill Residents may use the landfill located at 800 Mosier Valley in Arlington. Land fill rates are posted on Duncanís website at There is also a drop off recycling area at the landfill. The hours of operation are 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Saturday. The facility is closed in observance of the following holidays, New Year's Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day. A utility bill or driver's license is required as proof of residency.
Customer Service To report missed pickups or have questions about garbage and recycling contact Duncan Disposal at 817 317-2450 or visit their website at to complete a General Inquiry Form which is emailed to Duncan. Questions regarding billing and payment information contact the City of North Richland Hills Utility Customer Service Department at 817 427-6200 or email

Billing Information Water Billing All water is billed per hundred cubic feet. Billing occurs on a monthly basis. NRH is divided into eight billing cycles that bill on the first Tuesday through the last Friday of each month. Bills are due and payable within twenty days from the due date. A summary of our rate schedule is available on our website at
Sewer Billing The monthly volume charge for residential sewer is based on the average monthly use during the previous winter quarter months of December, January and February. This is the usage that appears on your January, February and March billings. Residential sewer is recalculated annually in April. Commercial billing is based on total water usage.
Budget Billing A free service the City offers its residential customers to level the peaks and valleys that come with paying utility bills. City averages twelve months of billing for a customer to provide level payments throughout the year. Since customer usage patterns change from year to year, budget billing is recalculated annually in April.
Leak Adjustments The City allows leak adjustments on accounts where the usage increased due to an underground pipe or hidden leak. An adjustment is only issued after the Utility Customer Service office receives a copy of the plumbing repair bill or receipts for parts that indicates what was repaired. Adjustments are only allowed on 50% of the excess amount above normal usage and calculated at the current volume + pass through rate. Adjustments are not given for sprinkler system, toilets or faucet leaks.
Penalty The penalty is ten percent of the bill less taxes and less voluntary contribution. The minimum penalty for residential customers is $2.50 and $15 for commercial customers.
Payment Extensions If the water has not been disconnected for non-payment, an extension can be granted in most cases by contacting the Utility Customer Office. An extension may not be granted if previous extensions were not followed through on. It is imperative that any payment extensions occur as planned to prevent interruption of service and additional fees.
Bills Forwarded When your bill is forwarded it is typically due to a change of address on file with the Post Office. If someone has recently moved from your address, check with the Post Office and see if they have an individual move or a family move on file. An individual move will only forward the mail for the person listed, but a family move will forward all the mail with the same last name. To stop your mail from being forwarded you must go to the post office and request it.
After Hour Bill Payment The drive through window is open to receive payments from 7:30 to 5:30 Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. On Wednesdays it is open until 6:30; also on Wednesday the Police Department will accept payments from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Payments can also be made on our website at and by telephone at (817) 427-6318. Any payments made on the web or by phone after 5:00 p.m. will be processed the next business day.

Financial Assistance There are several agencies in the area that offer assistance with utility payments providing you meet with their specifications. These include Catholic Charities Diocese of Fort Worth located at 813 Brown Trail Suite 4 in Bedford, phone number (817) 282-6646; Tarrant County Department of Human Services...813 Brown Trail Suite 3 in Bedford, TX (817) 595-0274 and North East Emergency Distribution 424 Bedford Euless Road in Hurst, TX (817) 280-0286. To receive additional information call 211 Texas or (817) 258-8100.